Friday, August 22, 2014

Guess Who's Back?

Back again...
LUCY's back. And she has friends! 

Oh haaaay, long time no chat.


I'm currently laying in bed with a knee the size of Earth (ladies and gentlemen meet my new friend Chuck!) and I figured it would be a good time to write a little somethin' somethin' because I just got back from one of the most kick-ass summers of my life.


#nobiggie


Basically I was paid to live in Southern California, hang out with the coolest kids on the planet, hike Yosemite, chill at the beach, visit The Getty, and sit in box seats at a Dodgers game. Oh and don't forget work with some of the most amazing people from all corners of the world.  


#WHATISMYLIFE















#sorrynotsorry for the pic overload. 

Believe me there are like 50 billion more. FIFTY BILLION. So really I'm doing you a favor. 

On a more serious note, it'a hard to put into words how much I have learned and changed in three months, and those who have ever been to camp can testify to that. 

I worked with kids who have been dealing with serious medical conditions their whole lives, and was trusted by their parents to take them for a whole week. 

A WHOLE WEEK. 

As someone who was pretty sick as a kid and knowing how much my parents worried about me, I felt extremely privileged to be able to spend that much time with these kids, and believe me when I say we as a staff made the absolute most of it. We watched them conquer their fears on the ropes course, experienced their first time catching a fish, ate spaghetti with no hands, and watched their eyes light up as they performed at stage night. We witnessed normally shy kids transform into the camp clowns, and the brother and sisterhood that formed between the oldest and youngest campers. 

To say it was magic would be an understatement. 

I worked with an amazing staff who helped each other through difficult times and watched as they grew and changed into even more astounding individuals, and I honestly believe that I made some of the best friends I will ever have. They helped me understand that it's actually okay to be 100% myself all the time (who knew!?), still accepted me at 12 am as I legitimately broke down on the Arts and Crafts floor in a fit of crying/laughter/incoherent sentences, and left me love notes when I was in Quarantine (aka: "The Q") and when Lucy showed up with her resting bitch face and brought her friend Chuck along half way through the summer for the rest of the summer. 

What it all boils down to is that I'm hashtag blessed.

Even though Crohn's is on its way back and things are a little rocky at the moment, knowing I've got some pretty rad people behind me (including you!) is making all the difference. 

#positivevibetribe

Y'all are fabulous.

Until next time, here's some wisdom to carry you through.

Deuces.

"Your best thoughts come to you while you're on the toilet. Because all the crap gets out of ya and you start thinking REAL." -Camper

1 comment:

  1. But seriously, what is your life?! What a perfect summer! And how come I'm just barely reading this?! Oh Dyls, I love ya. NOW GET BACK TO CEDAR I HAVE ZERO FRIENDS.

    ReplyDelete